Friday, January 29, 2016

Removing Hurdles

As a coach, I often get asked, "What exactly do you do?"  My response is usually, "I try and remove the hurdles that teachers are facing, regardless of how hard they are."


  I have been in education for 11 years, most of which have been in a classroom.  I know some of the struggles I had and my mission is to make teachers able to do their job to the best of their ability.  By allowing teachers to do this, it is only going to make the whole teaching/learning process much smoother.  As a coach, I constantly ask, "What do you need? What can I do?  Where do you need me?"  I believe building these relationships with teachers and showing them that I am here to support them, allows for us all to grow.  I have found that since taking over this role as a coach a month ago, that the teachers are sharing with me their needs.  While sharing these needs, I make in my personal goal to fix it regardless of whether it's technology, modeling, coverage, resources, etc.  It has taught me to balance many things at one time, but if I can alleviate something from the staff, then it is well worth it.  

  I look at this as whatever I can do to help, allows for all teachers to focus on something else that will impact their instruction, and make it more meaningful for students.  To me, that is why we are all in this profession together.  Moving forward, these are some of my personal goals to cover. 
-Provide non-evaluative feedback
-Start instructional rounds where teachers can observe other teachers and have a conversation
-Continue to remove hurdles that are interfering with daily instruction
  

No comments:

Post a Comment