Sunday, November 30, 2014

What Could A 21st Century Class Look Like???

I recently had a conversation with some of the local college students that are observing me as per one of their classes.  They informed me that my classroom is ran totally different from their classrooms that they are learning about in their classes.  I couldn't help but ask, "What does the ideal classroom look like?" Their answer absolutely saddened me because it is the exact answer that I didn't want to hear, "Students are sitting in desk in rows or maybe even small groups."  So now I started to ponder, are we really preparing our teachers/students for the 21st century in not only our classrooms but also at the college level? Also, what does a 21 century classroom look like?  I continued to ask them about what they have seen in my classroom and had questions on.  The one thing they asked me about was the way in which my students worked. (partners, groups, with the other third grade class (50 students in one room).  Below are some pictures that I took recently to show just what they were seeing.  




The one thing I let them know is that I truly believe in working in an environment that you feel comfortable in.  All of these students were doing their expected work but in a manner that was comfortable for them. I look at myself, I do most of my work while listening to music and sitting on my couch.  If we are truly preparing our students for a conversation that is already 14 years old, "21st Century" then why aren't we letting them learn and perform meaningful task in a way in which they feel comfortable.  To me, if a student feels comfortable laying on the floor doing their work as opposed to sitting in a chair, what does it matter?  I guess the answer I am trying to figure out is, are other classrooms out there doing the same?   


No comments:

Post a Comment